Friday 19 July 2013

Flies.....

The hot weather has brought the unwelcome influx of house flies. I had one in the office a little while ago, and was completely distracted by it - it made so much noise. I wondered what caused the noise to be so loud, so I did a little research. Hardly a Greyhound topic, but having said that, I do think they could pose a threat to them if we were a little careless with their food.

For your edification.....here's a nice picture!


 
You will already know they are carriers of disease. (I don't fall into the houseproud category - cleaning and polishing daily - we are a 'lived in' household here), but I was surprised at just how many diseases these flies actually carry.  Here's an extract from Wikipedia

The flies (musca domestica) are capable of carrying over 100 pathogens, such as those causing
  • Typhoid
  • Cholera
  • Salmonellosis
  • Bacillary Dysentery
  • Tuberculosis
  • Anthrax
  • Opthalmia
  • Parasitic worms
Some species have also become immune to most common insecticides.

Life Cycle: Each female fly can lay approximately 500 eggs (in several batches of between 75-150. Within a day, larvae (maggots) hatch.

36 hours or so after emerging from the pupa, the female is receptive for mating.
These flies depend on warm temperatures; the warmer the weather, the faster the flies will develop.

House flies feed on liquid or semi liquid substances, household rubbish and faeces, beside solid material which has been softened by saliva or vomit. Because of their large intake of food, they deposit faeces constantly, one of the factors that makes the insect a dangerous carrier of pathogens. Although they are domestic flies, usually confined to human habitations, they can fly for several miles from the breeding place.

They are active only in daytime, and rest at night, e.g., at the corners of rooms, ceiling hangings, cellars, and barns, where they can survive the coldest winters by hibernation, and when spring arrives, adult flies are seen only a few days after the first thaw

If you'd like to know more here's a link to a useful page on the subject = = > House Flies, Bluebottles etc.

......and to answer the question about noise......which was the reason why I researched in the first place
here's the answer I found

Returning to Greyhounds (ahh yes please) and food. I do actually cook for my two and so the food I give invites considerable interest to the fly species, so I cover each meal with a wet tea towel for the period it is 'out' until it is eaten or finished with, and this seems to deter them.

Hope you found this a fascinating post........not the best I know, but nevertheless I've learned a little more than I knew an hour ago......and, I have answered the question about noisy flies!

Have a good day all :)










No comments:

Post a Comment